Rosewater is known to be one of the most used ingredients in cosmetics, perfumes, food and also in a few medication preparations. Since ancient times, Rosewater has claimed to be highly prized for its source of perfume, medicinal use, and nutritional properties. Its importance and potential in hair care are unmatched.
The Benefits of Rose Water
1. Smoothens, moisturizes, hydrates and revitalizes the skin while healing scars, cuts, and wounds.
2. Its antioxidants properties help strengthen skin cells and regenerate skin tissues.
3. Rosewater is believed to stimulate the circulation of tiny blood vessels underneath the hair follicles, which help to reduce the appearance of broken capillaries and thread veins.
How is rose water made?
Rosewater is made very delicately by a usual process of steam-distilling the rose petals in water. This is done in order to isolate the plant’s essential oils. Rosewater naturally moisturizers and conditions due to its rich flavonoids and vitamins A, B3, C, D, and E.
The sugars consistent found in the rose petals add the calming effects of the rose waters. Rosewater has been always trusted to stabilize hair’s pH balance. This is due to the fact that its pH is similar to that of finding in hair.
Some also believe that it can help in repairing hair’s damaged porosity. It acts as an anti-inflammatory, and with its natural antiseptic properties, it can reduce or lessen dandruff caused by fungal infections. Some even believe it promotes hair growth. It is thought to have stimulating properties.
Benefits of Rose Water in Your Daily Hair Care Routine
1. Rose Water Reduces Dryness:
If you have frizzy and dry hair, you can use rose water to moisturize your scalp and soothe the effects of heat and pollution. Rehydrating your scalp is the trick to naturally get rid of dry and unmanageable hair. The dry scalp will ultimately lead to dry hair, and so rehydrating the scalp is very important for eliminating frizz.
Tips: To get more benefits from Rosewater, try using glycerin with rose water as glycerin helps in enhancing rose water’s moisturizing ability to the full extent.
2. Rose Water Controls an Oily Scalp:
Some people have very active sebaceous glands, which secrete a high amount of sebum, an oily substance in the scalp, at the root of hair strands.
The existence of sebum will make your hair feel more oily and greasy, this, in turn, will make your looks unpleasant but also will make it easier for dirt to get attached to the hair. As the pH of rose water is suitable for the nourishment of hair, it nourishes your scalp and reduces the generation of oil.
3. Repairs Hair Damage:
Dirt and Pollution have always been hair’s worst enemies, it is followed by the chemical hair products and heat treatments that we use. Even If you frequently blow-dry, curl or straighten your hair, it will ultimately affect your hair and your beautiful hair will start losing its natural strength and luster.
To avoid it try using rose water to gently massage your scalp, this habit will gradually increase blood circulation in your hair follicles which in turn rejuvenates the scalp. You can even try to regularly rinse your hair with rose water after your usual shampooing. This will leave your hair looking shiny and feeling soft. Rosewater helps a lot in treating the damaged hairs and to some extent, it can even reverse it.
Tips: For added benefit try to use rose water, while adding vitamin E and few drops of essential jojoba oil, these ingredients reversing properties to heal damaged hairs.
4. Rose Water for Improving Hair Growth:
The presence of vitamins like A, B3, C and E that can be found in rose water help to promote the growth of your hair. It contains nourishing properties that when used in the scalp lead to the promoting of hair growth. Although there is not any scientific proof yet or any research done on it in present there are words where it is believed that there is a link between rose water and hair growth.
Tips: To incorporate more benefits of rose water to stimulate your hair growth remedy, try adding rose essential oil mixed with Rosewater to all of your hair products.
5. Rose Water Reduces Dandruff:
If you have tried numerous anti-dandruff shampoos and treatments in vain, say hello to one of the most effective natural remedies of dandruff. Simply soak fenugreek seeds (methi) in rose water for 4-5 hours and grind it into a paste. Apply this to your scalp and leave it on for 15-20 minutes. Rinse it gently with lukewarm water and your usual mild shampoo.
6. Rose Water Improves Strenght and Quality:
There could be various reasons behind reduced strength of hair. If you want to improve it, you need to try using rose water. From ancient Chinese time’s rose water has been used as a hair strengthening remedy. What rose water does is increase the circulation of blood in the scalp.
Increased blood circulation rejuvenates the hair follicles and makes them strong. This, in turn, helps in the better exchange of nutrients from the scalp to the tip of the hair which also reduced hair breakage and tries to improve hair quality.
7. Rose Water Conditions Your Hair:
Sometimes shampoos leave our hair dry and almost crunchy after cleaning it. It is a very common problem that can be seen in hairs because most shampoos in markets contain several chemicals that don’t suit your hair and its pH.
To solve this problem, you can use rose water. All you need to do is simply do a final rinse with a cup of rose water at the end of shampooing. It deep conditions your hair and leaves it shiny throughout the day.
8. Rose Water Improves Scalp Health and Fight Infections:
Rose water is said to have anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory properties. It will keep infections at bay if you rinse your scalp regularly with rose water every alternate day. As we might have already mentioned, rose water always helps in increasing blood circulation in your scalp.
This will, in turn, improve greatly the general scalp health and decrease dandruff, fungal infections, oil, and other such problems that usually originate in the scalp are greatly reduced.
How to Make Pure Distilled Rose Water?
Choose roses that are free from chemicals and pesticides, so try a farmer’s market or a florist but ask if they are free of pesticides. If you are not sure if they are grown organically, then rinse the petals in cool water.
If harvesting from your own garden, pick them first thing in the morning when covered with morning dew. Make sure to wash them of dirt and bugs.
- 1 cup of firmly packed rose petals
- 2 cups of distilled water
- Remove rose petals and place them in a glass bowl.
- Boil the two cups of distilled water and pour the boiled water over rose petals.
- Cover and let it steam for 30 minutes.
- Use cheesecloth or cotton gauze to strain the mixture into another glass bowl and then transfer it into glass bottles using a clean funnel.
- Store in the fridge and the rose water will last a week.
How to utilize rose water into your hair care regimen?
Rosewater can be used very wisely in conditioners, shampoos, or just in a spritzer or spray bottle. It is completely up to you because there are several ways to benefit from the amazing water.
We’ll tell you about some great ways to get rose water into your hair care regimen, but first, let’s show you an easy way to make it.
Rose Water treatment for damaged hair
- 1 cup of rose water
- Few drops of jojoba oil
- 1 capsule of vitamin E
- A Bowl to mix
- Take a bowl and pour a cup of rose water in it.
- Add Few drops of Pure Jojoba essential Oil.
- Break one Capsule of Vitamin E in the bowl with the other ingredients.
- Mix the ingredients together until its well blended.
- Apply it gently with your fingers to your wet hair and scalp.
- Massage for at least 10 minutes and then shampoo and rinse it.
Rose Water Shampoo for Hair
- 3 farm fresh eggs
- A quarter cup of rum
- 1 cup of rose water
- Diluted Vinegar
- A Bowl to mix
- Take a Bowl and add three eggs in it
- Mix those eggs with a quarter cup each of rum and rose water.
- Blend the ingredients until you get a shampoo like consistent.
- Finally, rinse it with diluted vinegar.
You need to know a few more important things to get the best results while using rose water for your hair:
- It is better to opt for authentic rose water that is made using steam distillation.
- If you are trying to avoid chemicals, opt for rose water that is free from paraben, sulfur, and other toxins.
- Do bear in mind that pure rose water has a shorter shelf life than laboratory-produced rose water.
- Although rose water is not known to cause any side effect or harm, it’s best to test it for allergies before use. You can do so by trying it out with a small portion of hair first, to make sure that you are not allergic.